About Me

My name is Koo Yi Jie, a centre leader in one of Singapore's early childhood programs, and passionate early childhood advocate. As the saying goes, “it is easier to build a child than to rebuild an adult”, our work with young children is truly phenomenal. I have a Early Childhood Education Diploma (2013), Degree (2015) , and Masters in Education from NIE (2021) . I am a certified Adult Trainer (2022) , specialized in Early Childhood Content. For collaborations and content development, please feel free to email me at kooyijie@gmail.com.

.

Friday, September 11

A brief update.

As a degree graduate, we are often trained to teach the older children (4 years and above). Hence, we often step into schools with a 4 to 6 (years old) mindset. We are capable of writing term goals, activities, classroom management strategies for them so easily, it becomes an automatic thinking and reactive thinking. A fellow friend of mine took two days to cough out a term of lesson plans for her K1 class. It becomes second nature because we are too familiar with the Nurturing Early Learners and Kindergarten Curriculum Framework. But what about the infant and toddlers curriculum? How well do we know our toddlers' development and pedagogy? In my opinion, the relationship-based curriculum and birth to three curriculum has been overlooked in the diploma and degree program. And, I felt the wrath of it at work. As a fresh graduate, I struggled with my class of toddlers. I have to admit that I learnt more while getting my hands dirty with the toddlers in five months then five years of my tertiary education. I had to put in more efforts than my peers to learn and to overcome my barriers at work and I have no regrets about it. Because, over time, I fell in love with the toddlers and they inspire me each day. 


I came into the toddler classroom with nothing to offer, fear of toddlers and has evolved to a more alert, observant and knowledgeable practitioner. Having the opportunity to write the portfolios for the children has reminded me that these toddlers are very competent human beings. They have the ability to learn the class culture, befriend new companions and build relationships with strangers and address them as teachers within such a short period of time; I reckon quicker than a grown-up would take. Seeing them growing up so healthy and happy motivates me to work hard to be a better educator. 


On a side note, show some love to the Science of Play project, organised by the Lien Foundation, to advocate for play in the early years. Do take a look at their advocacy over at http://scienceofplay.sg/ . Personally, I like this website as it provides me with classroom ideas for my toddlers. The ideas provided are really simple and developmentally appropriate for young children. There were a couple of workshops hosted for families to encourage play with the underprivileged families. And, there will be more workshops held in community centres around Singapore, so do look out for them! How lovely! Such advocacy projects are a testimonial of the nation efforts to improve the early childhood education and to provide a more meaningful childhood. So, do support!