About Me

My name is Koo Yi Jie, a centre leader in one of Singapore's early childhood programs, and passionate early childhood advocate. As the saying goes, “it is easier to build a child than to rebuild an adult”, our work with young children is truly phenomenal. I have a Early Childhood Education Diploma (2013), Degree (2015) , and Masters in Education from NIE (2021) . I am a certified Adult Trainer (2022) , specialized in Early Childhood Content. For collaborations and content development, please feel free to email me at kooyijie@gmail.com.

.

Thursday, September 17

Something professional, something personal

 

Something professional,

The decision to leave my teaching position was announced at an awfully bad timing for the school, during a re-branding and reshuffling of manpower. However, I had already decided since March 11, to leave the current teaching position for further options. I felt obligated to stay because I just served my maternity leave and because another one of my dear colleagues left. Upon my return, I could sense the changes I had as a teacher; I was tired of what I do every day (while I am good at what I do, dealing with their behaviors and planning activities, I was underwhelmed and under-stimulated). Also, my postpartum body is screaming in pain. My physical body was giving up. I spoke up and gave suggestions to the management, then again, change takes time, and some decisions supersede others.

5 years on, I had accomplished 250 Weekly Activity Plan, 250 Weekly Reports, 330 portfolios, 15 cycles of parent-teacher meeting, countless complaints, and appreciation, 5 teachers’ days, one baby, and one Masters of Education, I left this place that I hold dear to my heart. I have no regrets; I met wonderful teachers and mentors, I made friends for life, I honed my pedagogical knowledge, and I became a better version of who I was.  

Now, I can add “5 years 5 months / English Teacher” on my Resume. Further, I add “Deputy Principal” to my name. It still feels surreal, being called a principal. My spouse said my title is wonderful and deserving. I thought the road ahead will be tougher than ever.

No worries, a part of me (literally my offspring) is still at the place I loved. Baby Hansel loves school, he is beginning to develop friendships with others, he loves to explore in the space, and he feels secure. As a parent, I am happy for him.  

 

Something personal,

Ever since my return to work, my colleagues and my friends have been asking me how I am doing. I am doing okay, passable. My priorities changed quite a bit. Knowing that I am enrolling in a two year Master’s Program, our plans for our firstborn was postponed. After all, I was only 26, childbearing can wait. However, my period did not come for almost a year (it did not occur to me too, because it was so convenient to be period-free), hence I was given a hormonal pill to induce the period. I thought of tracking ovulation but man, the hormones drive my ovulation sticks nut. So, we did not bother. Plus, to track ovulation, you need your last menstrual cycle which I did not have any!

So, we did what couples do. We were married for … one and a half years (I think). On 1st June, I felt horrible and we tested for pregnancy, and we cannot believe our eyes and ears and mouth and nose! We went to the polyclinic to verify as it was confirmed. We begin the journey of monthly check-up, morning sickness, vitamins, gained 15 kg, went to A&E, cervixes check-up, and got induced. Poof, Hansel was born a healthy and strong boy in January 2020 after ten-hour labor. He came to us as a gift, hence his name (“Gift from God”). At my postpartum check-up, the doctor asked, “how did it happen?” I threw the question back at him, “you tell me, you are the one who went medical school”.

Hansel was, indeed, daddy’s fastest swimmer.